Hybrid Solar-Pedal Vehicle Now In Production
Organic Transit's ELF is a single-seat three-wheeler that is a cross between a bicycle and an electric car. They could start appearing in bike lanes in a matter of months.
What's the Latest Development?
North Carolina-based Organic Transit has begun production of ELF, a hybrid three-wheeled vehicle that can be powered either by pedaling or by a 480-watt battery that gets its energy from solar panels installed on the top. The first models are going out to the project backers, who helped raise 225 percent of the initial $100,000 asked for in a Kickstarter campaign last November. The base model goes for $4,000, and at current production rates, the company says that an ELF ordered now could be on the road by this summer.
What's the Big Idea?
The ELF can travel up to 30 miles, at speeds of up to 20 miles per hour, on a single battery charge alone, which classifies it as a bicycle according to federal guidelines. It fits comfortably inside a bike lane, yet it has headlights, tail lights, turn signals, and other items commonly found on a car. The company's Web site says it represents the best of both worlds: "Stay fresh for work by using the electric motor on your morning commute...Skip the gym and still find time for a daily workout as you pedal home."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.