How to Switch Off Your Work Phone and Keep Your Job
How close to you sleep to your mobile phone? Is it connected to a charger on your nightstand or do you have a pillow for it right next to yours?
For modern professionals, finding the boundaries of professional life can mean improving your overall quality of life. If you are willing to answer emails any day of the week at any hour of the day, you will continue to receive those emails. By setting boundaries, however, you can cultivate other areas of your life more fully whether than means time with family or creative enterprise.
Firstly, it's important to be aware of any guidelines your company may have about mobile device use outside of office hours. Then once you know how much leeway you have to make changes, give your employer a clear explanation of why you'd like more time away from your mobile device.
In approaching your boss and colleagues, communicate what your priorities are--whether it’s recharging by spending quality time with your family, or pursuing your passions outside of work. "If you let people work you to death, they will," says Traci Bild, founder of Bild & Company, a national health care consulting firm in Tampa, Florida. "People respect those who know how to set boundaries."
If your plan is to answer business email received after 5:30 p.m. the next day, it's essential to notify those affected by your new schedule. You'll also want to establish a channel for emergency messages to get through. Perhaps that's a special email subject line that identifies an emergency message, or a direct call to your mobile phone. Finally, whatever your plan is, be consistent about it, or people won't take your new schedule seriously and all your efforts will have been for nought.
Read more at Fast Company
Photo credit: Shutterstock
Researchers discover a link between nonverbal synchronization and relationship success.
- Scientists say coordinating movements leads to increased intimacy and sexual desire in a couple.
- The improved rapport and empathy was also observed in people who didn't know each other.
- Non-verbal clues are very important in the development stages of a relationship.
Humans evolved to live in the cold through a number of environmental and genetic factors.
- According to some relatively new research, many of our early human cousins preceded Homo sapien migrations north by hundreds of thousands or even millions of years.
- Cross-breeding with other ancient hominids gave some subsets of human population the genes to contend and thrive in colder and harsher climates.
- Behavioral and dietary changes also helped humans adapt to cold climates.
The comics titan worked for more than half a century to revolutionize and add nuance to the comics industry, and he built a vast community of fans along the way.
- Lee died shortly after being rushed to an L.A. hospital. He had been struggling with multiple illnesses over the past year, reports indicate.
- Since the 1950s, Lee has been one of the most influential figures in comics, helping to popularize heroes that expressed a level of nuance and self-doubt previously unseen in the industry.
- Lee, who's later years were marked by some financial and legal tumult, is survived by his daughter, Joan Celia "J.C." Lee.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.