How Diversity Inspires Innovation
Diversity in all senses encourages creativity and innovation by fusing together two or more ideas that are traditionally separate. Specialists are often too narrowly focused.
What's the Latest Development?
The essence of innovation is fusing ideas that have not been connected before, like Steve Jobs combination of calligraphy and technology to create Mac's graphical user interface. A fusion of business models can also inspire innovation, as when Netflix-style rentals and high-end fashion were combined to create the successful business Rent the Runway. So how can businesses consciously higher individuals who are good at fusing new ideas? They should look for diversity at every level of the company and the individual.
What's the Big Idea?
Bronwyn Fryer of the Harvard Business Review says there are many levels to diversity. And while companies may have official policies recognizing diversity as a value, most corporate cultures lack a truly innovative spirit. One reason, says Fryer, is the presence of too many specialists. "The devaluation of generalists has produced lots and lots of business majors who may know how to put together a spreadsheet but who can't think broadly enough to put unlike ideas together." She offers a spirited defense of a liberal arts education.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
The stories we tell define history. So who gets the mic in America?
- History is written by lions. But it's also recorded by lambs.
- In order to understand American history, we need to look at the events of the past as more prismatic than the narrative given to us in high school textbooks.
- Including different voices can paint a more full and vibrant portrait of America. Which is why more walks of American life can and should be storytellers.
There is no doubt that the historical Jesus, the man who was executed by the Roman State in the first century CE, was a brown-skinned, Middle Eastern Jew.
I grew up in a Christian home, where a photo of Jesus hung on my bedroom wall. I still have it. It is schmaltzy and rather tacky in that 1970s kind of way, but as a little girl I loved it. In this picture, Jesus looks kind and gentle, he gazes down at me lovingly. He is also light-haired, blue-eyed, and very white.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.