H-P Hires Meg Whitman: Frying Pan to Fire?
After controversy over its hiring of C.E.O.s from outside the company, Hewlett-Packard has hastily named Meg Whitman its newest chief executive. She joined the board eight months ago.
What's the Latest Development?
Meg Whitman, long-time C.E.O. of eBay and former candidate for governor of California, has been appointed as the new C.E.O. of the computer company Hewlett-Packard. Former C.E.O. Leo Apotheker served only 11 months at the company before being fired, a move which has shaken confidence in Hewlett-Packard's decision making abilities. Compounding that problem was the company's recent decision to scrap production of its TouchPad tablet computer. Even the company's computer-making business has an uncertain future.
What's the Big Idea?
During the ten years that Meg Whitman served as the C.E.O. of eBay, the online seller became a multi-billion dollar company. Some say this preparation, as well as Whitman's familiarity with H-P since joining its corporate board eight months ago, suits her well to the big job ahead. Others are less confident. To be sure, big differences exist between managing a company that produces nothing and a large, high-technology manufacturing business. In a sense, H-P has been a victim of its own success as it has continued to expand vertically.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.