Free Content, Not Machines, Writers' Biggest Threat
The big issue for reporters, editors, and publishers isn't automated text generation. It's the explosion of free human-authored content on the Web.
What's the Latest Development?
Will the Pulitzer Prize for 2016 be awarded to a computer program? There is a case that computer-human journalism could improve the product. But the big issue for reporters, editors, and publishers isn't automated text generation. It's the explosion of free human-authored content on the Web.
What's the Big Idea?
And the trend is that, careful and uniquely human writing will be unread, while McProse—of which there's such a human-produced glut A.I. programs are almost superfluous—will thrive. The most likely result of the new technology is a further division of writers into a few with brand identity and an even more pressed majority, some of them at least equally talented.
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
No, depression is not just a type of 'affluenza' – poor people in conflict zones are more likely candidates
- Often seen as typical of rich societies, depression is actually more prevalent in poor, conflict-ridden countries
- More than one in five Afghans is clinically depressed – a sad world record
- But are North Koreans really the world's 'fourth least depressed' people?
America isn't immune to attempts to remove books from libraries and schools, here are ten frequent targets and why you ought to go check them out.
- Even in America, books are frequently challenged and removed from schools and public libraries.
- Every year, the American Library Association puts on Banned Books Week to draw attention to this fact.
- Some of the books they include on their list of most frequently challenged are some of the greatest, most beloved, and entertaining books there are.
- Oumuamua, a quarter-mile long asteroid tumbling through space, is Hawaiian for "scout", or "the first of many".
- It was given this name because it came from another solar system.
- Some claimed 'Oumuamua was an alien technology, but there's no actual evidence for that.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.