Five Years Until Irreversible Climate Change
The International Energy Agency, known for its typically conservative estimates when it comes to climate change, has produced a disturbingly gloomy report on the future of the planet.
What's the Latest Development?
The International Energy Agency is known for its conservative estimates when it comes to climate change, which makes its most recent report all the more troubling. To keep the planet from warming more than two degrees Celsius, beyond which scientists say is a dire change, carbon emissions must be kept below 450 parts per million (ppm). But the world is already producing 80 percent of that 'carbon budget' and by 2015, at least 90 percent will be swallowed up by our energy and industrial infrastructure.
What's the Big Idea?
The greatest threat to the world, according to the I.E.A., is energy infrastructure currently under construction. These new sources will pump carbon into the atmosphere for decades, and once there, carbon can trap heat on the planet for a century. The agency's report says the world has five years to make drastic changes in its energy policies before the door to saving the world from climate change closes forever. Still, countries the world over are calling for delays in climate negotiations and building new energy infrastructure.
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
These photos of scientific heroes and accomplishments inspire awe and curiosity.
- Science has given humanity an incalculable boost over the recent centuries, changing our lives in ways both awe-inspiring and humbling.
- Fortunately, photography, a scientific feat in and of itself, has recorded some of the most important events, people and discoveries in science, allowing us unprecedented insight and expanding our view of the world.
- Here are some of the most important scientific photos of history:
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.