Do Data Miners Know You Better than You Do?
A few simple concepts power today's powerful data mining algorithms, allowing companies and governments to gather data about who you are, what you do and what you might do.
What's the Latest Development?
It's nearly tax time, and if your return looks anomalous with respect to the millions of others filed, the IRS might take a closer look. That's just one of the ways in which powerful computer algorithms can extract personal data over a wide range of information to give companies and governments a clear vision of who you are—and what you might do in the future. Another technique, called association learning, is currently used by Amazon to predict what you might buy in the future based on what other people bought after buying the same product you purchased.
What's the Big Idea?
A digital signature is created and stored each time an interaction occurs over the Internet, meaning that the things you say and buy online are part of a massive data bank open to analysis. Regression is a technique that compares a company's predictions about your behavior to how you have actually behaved, allowing them to modify how they make their predictions, in hopes of improving them. Facebook, for example, might use regression to design their site in a way that encourages more interaction, something they have presumably done with Timeline. Based on initial user response, we might ask if Facebook knows us better than we know ourselves?
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.