Fear of a water-borne disease outbreak is gripping Fiji in the aftermath of Cyclone Tomas which battered the South Pacific island nation last Friday, displacing 20,000 people.
Fear of a water-borne disease outbreak is gripping Fiji in the aftermath of Cyclone Tomas which battered the South Pacific island nation last Friday, displacing 20,000 people. The country was suffering from a typhoid outbreak even before the storm hit, and health officials fear it could spread quickly through the packed evacuation centers. "The health ministry has already deployed teams to the eastern and central divisions to assess health risks, Radio New Zealand International (RNZI) said on Thursday. Iliesa Tora, a health ministry spokeswoman, said officials are worried about the spread of water-borne diseases following the winds and rain. ‘We've just had typhoid cases before the cyclone and that's something we're concerned about,’ the radio station quoted her as saying. ‘We're also concerned about other things, like leptospirosis and diarrhoea, especially that now in the rural areas the water system would be affected in some way.’ Tomas packed winds of up to 205 kilometres per hour and gusts of up to 280 kilometres per hour when it first hit Fiji late on Friday."
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.