Afraid of Getting Depressed? Try Going For a Run.
Authors of a new study believe they've found why exercise helps protect from depression.
It's no secret that regular exercise can help protect you from depression. Authors of a new study published in the journal Cell believe they've found the reason why. The secret, they say, is found in a muscle enzyme called PCC-1alpha.
Gretchen Reynolds of The New York Times explains:
"A wealth of earlier research by these scientists and others had shown that aerobic exercise, in both mice and people, increases the production within muscles of an enzyme called PGC-1alpha. In particular, exercise raises levels of a specific subtype of the enzyme known unimaginatively as PGC-1alpha1. The Karolinska scientists suspected that this enzyme somehow creates conditions within the body that protect the brain against depression."
To test this hypothesis, researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm bred special mice with abnormally high levels of PGC-1alpha1. (Scientists had previously taken another set of mice and made them "depressed" by exposing them over time to stimuli that caused the mice to lose weight and exhibit dispirited behaviors) The newly bred group displayed a boosted resilience to the noticeable effects of depression.
The researchers then tested humans and found similar results: building up PGC-1alpha1 helped ward off depression. Whether exercising can be proven to help treat people already depressed remains to be seen, though one of the researchers told Reynolds that he's confident it would.
Read more at The New York Times
Read the whole study here
Photo credit: Warren Goldswain / Shutterstock
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.