Data Communication Costs, & Myths
Moore's Law explains why the price of everything electronic keeps going down. Richard Bennett explains some exceptions. Don't expect bandwith prices to halve every 18 months.
Moore's Law explains why the price of everything electronic keeps going down, so began Tom Evslin in a blog on costs which technology is driving down but government and private sector monopolies work hard to keep prices high anyway. Richard Bennett says, however, that the piece highlights two errors , one being the overstatement of the role of Moore’s Law in determining the cost of networks. Another being to claim that Skype is free. For instance, one-to-one video Skype is a “loss leader” that Skype has chosen to give away in order to encourage more people to use Skype’s paid services.
Both schizophrenics and people with a common personality type share similar brain patterns.
- A new study shows that people with a common personality type share brain activity with patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
- The study gives insight into how the brain activity associated with mental illnesses relates to brain activity in healthy individuals.
- This finding not only improves our understanding of how the brain works but may one day be applied to treatments.
It's a development that could one day lead to much better treatments for osteoporosis, joint damage, and bone fractures.
- Scientists have isolated skeletal stem cells in adult and fetal bones for the first time.
- These cells could one day help treat damaged bone and cartilage.
- The team was able to grow skeletal stem cells from cells found within liposuctioned fat.
Gut bacteria play an important role in how you feel and think and how well your body fights off disease. New research shows that exercise can give your gut bacteria a boost.
- Two studies from the University of Illinois show that gut bacteria can be changed by exercise alone.
- Our understanding of how gut bacteria impacts our overall health is an emerging field, and this research sheds light on the many different ways exercise affects your body.
- Exercising to improve your gut bacteria will prevent diseases and encourage brain health.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.