Dark Matter Gets More Mysterious
A new study has deepened the mystery of dark matter, that evasive substance that keeps entire galaxies together. The standard cosmological model may be wrong as a result.
What's the Latest Development?
A recent study of two far off dwarf galaxies challenges the standard cosmological model by presenting contrary observations of dark energy. Rather than dark matter being concentrated at the center of the Fornax and Sculptor galaxies, as the standard model would predict, researchers at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics found that it was distributed equally among the millions of stars they observed. "After completing this study, we know less about dark matter than we did before," said the lead author.
What's the Big Idea?
With galaxies like our Milky Way rotating through space at incredible velocities, why don't their stars go flying off in all directions? The answer is dark matter. The gravitational force which keeps our feet on the ground, thanks to Earth's mass, is simply not strong enough to keep entire galaxies together. As a solution, scientists have concluded that another kind of matter, dark matter, keeps stars turning around the center of galaxies. Accordingly, dark matter should be concentrated at their centers.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
"Earth" features about 30 of the biggest names in entertainment.
- Lil Dicky is a rapper and comedian who released his debut album in 2015.
- His new music video, "Earth," features artists such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheehan, Kevin Hart, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- All proceeds of the music video will go to environmental causes, Dicky said.
We're talking Ghost in the Shell type of stuff.
Maybe you watched Ghost in the Shell and maybe afterwards you and your friend had a conversation about whether or not you would opt in for some bionic upgrades if that was possible - like a liver that could let you drink unlimitedly or an eye that could give you superhuman vision. And maybe you had differing opinions but you concluded that it's irrelevant because the time to make such choices is far in the future. Well, it turns out, it's two years away.
- A forensic artist in Scotland has made a hyper realistic model of an ancient dog.
- It was based on the skull of a dog dug up in Orkney, Scotland, which lived and died 4,000 years ago.
- The model gives us a glimpse of some of the first dogs humans befriended.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.