Dancing with Drones: How Machines May Play a Part in the Future of Art
In a new dance routine, Japanese dance troupe ElevenPlay explores the relationship between the body and technology by dancing with drones programmed by designer Daito Manabe.
What's the Latest?
Last month, Japanese dance troupe ElevenPlay performed a captivating routine incorporating technology you don't often find in the fine arts world: drones. Designed by Daito Manabe, an artist who specializes in tech/body fusions, the drones were programmed to track the dancers' movements and move alone with them. The routine is augmented by a dazzling audio/visual presentation.
What's the Big Idea?
So much can be interpreted from this presentation. On one hand, we can think of what the performance means from an interpretive viewpoint. Is the message here that art and technology are in collaboration with each other? Or contention? Does the dance represent a balance of power between man and machine? Who is in control of what (or whom) and when?
The other element we can focus on is what the performance means from a broader artistic standpoint. What roles can such machines play in the future of art? What are the limitations of machines in emulating humans? Could the roles of dancers be automated come the advent of more advanced technology?
What do you think?
Also, check out Daito Manabe's description of the project on the Youtube page under ABOUT.
Photo credit: Piotr Debowski/Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.