Congo's Uncivil War
A look at the factors behind the brutal civil war that has been taking place in the Congo over the past decade -- and the epidemic of mass rape that has swept that country with it.
A Daily Beast feature looks at the factors behind the brutal civil war that has been taking place in the Congo over the past decade -- and the epidemic of mass rape that has swept that country with it. At a recent forum, Congolese activist Annie Rashidi-Mulumba said "We have to treat sexual violence as terrorism" and urged the U.S. to put pressure on her country's government to stop it.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.