Cash for Sterilization
The controversial American charity organization Project Prevention offers cash payments to drug addicts and alcoholics who are willing to forgo having children.
"A drug addict has become the first man in Britain to take part in a controversial project which saw him get cash to be sterilized. The 38-year-old, who wishes to be known to only as John, was given £200 in exchange for a vasectomy. John—who has been addicted to opiates for 15 years and has been involved with drugs since he was 11 or 12—said the cash incentive spurred him into going ahead with the procedure. The addict, who is featured in BBC London's Inside Out programme tonight, said: 'It was kind of what spurred me into doing it in a way. It was something that I'd been thinking about for a long time and something that I'd already made my mind up that I wanted to do. Just hadn't got round to it.'"
International poker champion Liv Boeree teaches decision-making for Big Think Edge.
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Tracking project establishes northern Argentina is wintering ground of Swainson's hawks
- Watch these six dots move across the map and be moved yourself: this is a story about coming of age, discovery, hardship, death and survival.
- Each dot is a tag attached to the talon of a Swainson's Hawk. We follow them on their very first migration, from northern California all the way down to Argentina.
- After one year, only one is still alive.
These quick bursts of inspiration will brighten your day in 10 minutes or less.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.