Bangkok Facing Future of Flooding
Thailand is paying a price for rapid urbanization, which is one key reason floods are so badly affecting slowly sinking Bangkok. Should it move the entire city, as some experts advise?
What's the Latest Development?
Faced with the combined threats of land subsidence and rising temperatures and sea levels, the World Bank has predicted that Bangkok's flood risk will increase four-fold from now by 2050. Some experts say it is inevitable the city will one day be underwater, the only question is when.
What's the Big Idea?
Bangkok is among the top 10 cities in the world facing the biggest potential impact from coastal flooding by 2070. Dealing with the phenomenon will be expensive elsewhere too. Across the Asia-Pacific region the Asian Development Bank has estimated it will cost a minimum of $10 billion a year to adapt to climate change.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.