Arrest the Pope?
We should arrest the Pope "only if that is where the operation of due process and the rule of law actually take the investigating and prosecuting authorities," writes Allen Green.
Pope Benedict XVI, Joseph Ratzinger, "should not be immune from arrest or charge, prosecution or punishment, just because he is the pope; but he also should not be arrested or charged, prosecuted or punished, just because he is the pope," writes Allen Green. "A proper secular and liberal approach would be to disregard all the paraphernalia of his papal office." So we should arrest Ratzinger "only if that is where the operation of due process and the rule of law actually take the investigating and prosecuting authorities."
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.