American Lab Finds Evidence of Higgs Particle
Data collected at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois, show a 'bump' consistent with data from other labs which might be the long-sought Higgs boson.
What's the Latest Development?
Data collected over the last several years at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois, are consist with data from European labs that point to the presence of the elusive Higgs particle, one of the most fundamental elements in the Universe. The American lab found a 'bump' in their data between 115 and 135 billion electron volts, a miniscule measurement of mass (an electron, by comparison, has a mass of half a million electron volts). More powerful European labs had found a similar bump between 124 and 126 billion electron volts.
What's the Big Idea?
According to the Standard Model, an ambitious series of equations that explain how the Universe works at its most basic physical level, the Higgs particle is essential. It is responsible for giving mass to matter. Yet the mass of the Higgs itself remains a mystery. Physicists say either outcome, finding it or not, will be exciting. "If the Higgs does not exist, they will have to come up with a new model of how the universe works. If they do find the Higgs, studying it might give them clues to deeper mysteries the Standard Model does not solve."
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.