500 New Fairy Tales Discovered in Germany
Locked away in an archive for 150 years, a collection of 500 fairytales have been rediscovered by German cultural curators. The stories were recorded in the middle of the 19th century by oral historian Franz Xaver von Schönwerth.
What's the Latest?
Locked away in an archive for 150 years, a collection of 500 fairytales has been rediscovered by German cultural curators. The stories were recorded in the middle of the 19th century by oral historian Franz Xaver von Schönwerth. "Von Schönwerth spent decades asking country folk, labourers and servants about local habits, traditions, customs and history, and putting down on paper what had only been passed on by word of mouth." In one story, a princess escapes an evil witch by turning herself into a lake. When the unsuspecting witch drinks the lake dry, the princess returns to her original form and cuts her way out of the witch from the inside.
What's the Big Idea?
Von Schönwerth was a contemporary of the more famous Grimm brothers, who likewise travelled the countryside recording the oral traditions of local populations. In 1885, Jacob Grimm said about Von Schönwerth: "Nowhere in the whole of Germany is anyone collecting [folklore] so accurately, thoroughly and with such a sensitive ear." Grimm even told Bavaria's King, Maximilian II, that the only person who could replace him in his and his brother's work was Von Schönwerth. While the Grimm brothers searched for their own literary style, Von Schönwerth was more dutiful in his work, making no attempt to romanticize or polish the tales.
Read one of the tales at the Guardian
Photo credit: Shutterstock
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.