Fat Food Chains Stimulating Jobs, Waistlines
Just as obesity rates in the countries reach new highs, Americans and Britons are cutting back on healthier and more expensive foods in favor of cheap, fast food alternatives.
Domino's Pizza in the United Kingdom added 52 news stores in the last 12 months adding 1,800 jobs. McDonald's and other fast food franchises are seeing similar growth. McDonald's CEO Jim Skinner commented "today's market conditions play to our strengths." Coffee giant Starbucks, by contrast, are seeing their profits slump, and have even introduced breakfast deals for $3.95.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
In his final years, Martin Luther King, Jr. become increasingly focused on the problem of poverty in America.
- Despite being widely known for his leadership role in the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. also played a central role in organizing the Poor People's Campaign of 1968.
- The campaign was one of the first to demand a guaranteed income for all poor families in America.
- Today, the idea of a universal basic income is increasingly popular, and King's arguments in support of the policy still make a good case some 50 years later.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Rwanda is pioneering the regulation and use of drones - such as delivering blood
Even the optimists among us would have to admit 2018 was a challenging year. The fractured world that became the focus of our 2018 Annual Meeting a year ago came under further pressure from populist rhetoric and rising nationalist agendas. At the same time, the urgent need for coordinated global action in areas such as climate change, inequality and the impact of automation on jobs became more intense.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.