10 principles of wisdom from William Shakespeare
Art is a key source of wisdom (it's effects can be powerfully mind-altering). Here are some examples from Shakespeare (from Michael Witmore, director of the Folger Shakespeare Library).
Shakespeare’s plays “illustrate principles we could use to navigate our daily lives today.” So says Michael Witmore (director of the Folger Shakespeare Library) in a lecture listing 10 such principles of Shakespeare’s wisdom (with examples).
3. Reputation is a “bubble” that’s easily popped. In Othello, Iago and Casio discuss this, Witmore says “Shakespeare sided with Iago” (+see why Shakespeare beats “rationalist” economists on human nature).
4. “Power is harder to give away than it is to get.” I’m unconvinced, but Witmore says that’s “the lesson of King Lear.”
5. “Our love of legend is greater than the love of facts.” The history plays (Henry V etc) are myth-making.
10. “Our hopes sustain us even when we think they cannot be satisfied.” Winter’s Tale’s sculpture scene.
Do watch the full lecture, it’s full of further interesting points.
11. Witmore says, Shakespeare created “a democracy of perception.”
12. He harnessed “the persistent reality of our longings for justice, for a world in which the good prevail,” and made the “audience, its hopes, its longing, the efficient cause of the miracle that the theater creates.”
15. —>“The only art that escapes social, or ethical, or political effects, is art with no audience.”
16. —>It isn’t a cool view in the “art for art’s sake” crowd, but many use art as a source of wisdom.
What can 3D printing do for medicine? The "sky is the limit," says Northwell Health researcher Dr. Todd Goldstein.
- Medical professionals are currently using 3D printers to create prosthetics and patient-specific organ models that doctors can use to prepare for surgery.
- Eventually, scientists hope to print patient-specific organs that can be transplanted safely into the human body.
- Northwell Health, New York State's largest health care provider, is pioneering 3D printing in medicine in three key ways.
Beyond Beef sizzles and marbleizes just like real beef, Beyond Meat says.
- Shares of Beyond Meat opened at around $200 on Tuesday morning, falling to nearly $170 by the afternoon.
- Wall Street analysts remain wary of the stock, which has been on a massive hot streak since its IPO in May.
- Beyond Meat faces competition from Impossible Foods and, as of this week, Tyson.
Average waiting time for hitchhikers in Ireland: Less than 30 minutes. In southern Spain: More than 90 minutes.
- A popular means of transportation from the 1920s to the 1980s, hitchhiking has since fallen in disrepute.
- However, as this map shows, thumbing a ride still occupies a thriving niche – if at great geographic variance.
- In some countries and areas, you'll be off the street in no time. In other places, it's much harder to thumb your way from A to B.
A recent study used data from the Big Five personality to estimate psychopathy prevalence in the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C.
- The study estimated psychopathy prevalence by looking at the prevalence of certain traits in the Big Five model of personality.
- The District of Columbia had the highest prevalence of psychopathy, compared to other areas.
- The authors cautioned that their measurements were indirect, and that psychopathy in general is difficult to define precisely.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.