World Community Agog Over China Resurrecting Confucianism
BEIJING - About 2,565 years ago a wise and aristocratic Kong Qiu came to the world, 551 years before a certain Jesus of Nazareth, nutcase and son of a penniless carpenter, was born to a virgin. The reason why we all live in the year 2014 of our Lord Christ today is because Jesus declared himself the son of the Jewish God, and the king of Jews on top of that, which got him nailed to a cross by an angry mob of Romans and Jews. To get back at them, he resurrected. The rest is advanced political sciences.
Others don’t equal Confucius to a religion at all. He never called himself son of God. Instead, he got himself an education and a real job. Since he was an academic, historians would compare him to Plato, the Greek philosopher. Either way, Confucius probably is to East Asia what Jesus Christ and Plato are to the West: the spiritual and the ideological master source. [...]
Read full article at China Daily on how Xi Jinping, China's president, aims at resurrecting Confucianism.
Jesus Christ, Confucius (Image credits: Jtonystl/Flickr; STATIC6/Flickr)
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.