Germany Bets on the First Zero-Emissions Train in the World
Germany is becoming the first country in the world to start operating a fleet of hydrogen-powered passenger trains that emit only steam and water.
Germany is becoming the first country in the world to start operating a fleet of hydrogen-powered passenger trains that emit only steam and water. It has ordered 14 trains developed from the French company Alstom and after an approval procedure will put them to use on the Buxtehude–Bremervörde–Bremerhaven–Cuxhaven route in December 2017.
The Coradia iLint is the first train to be produced in large quantities, travel long distances (600-800 km on a tankful), and be powered by a hydrogen fuel-cell. An additional perk is it being almost noise-free.
The fuel cell is supplied with hydrogen, which combined with ambient air produces the electric energy needed to power the train. Flexible energy storage is provided by Lithium-ion batteries that accumulate the energy and supply it when needed with the help of an intelligent energy management system.
Alstom promises to provide the necessary hydrogen supply infrastructure on the routes, making it easy for further investments in hydrogen trains. Moreover, the company acquires the hydrogen from chemical plants in which the element is produced as a waste product. This makes the trains truly emission-free: from the generation of electricity to the operation.
Netherlands, Denmark and Norway have also expressed interest in the trains.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.