I Love This Picture
So, I might have mentioned that I gave a speech at the SSA conference in Columbus earlier this month. They've begun posting the official photos on their Facebook page, and I just might be in one or two of them. Including this one:
Yes, this is officially my new favorite picture ever.
They've also begun posting YouTube videos of the speeches. Mine isn't up yet (I had slides, which require some editing to put in) but I expect it will be up soon. I'll make a separate announcement when it's available. There were plenty of other excellent speakers, so check their videos out in the meantime!
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.