Once a week.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
How to easily change the domain name for your Wordpress blog
I recently migrated my site to a new domain, and I took an interest in seeing how simply this could be done. Could I, for example, create a list of directions that accomplished everything I wanted out of the move without requiring technical skills to implement? Could I build the “wordpress migration for dummies” framework?
I was able to accomplish this goal through a little research and experimenting, and as such I’d like to republish my findings here in case it might be helpful to you someday (hi random Google readers from the future!).\n
I only had a few goals for my migration:\n
- Keep my current posts available at the new URL \n
- Automatically forward any traffic to my old URL to the new domain \n
- Have one canonical source for Search Engines in order to maintain good standing in Google. \n
- Never need to use a tool that I couldn’t explain to my grandma over the phone. \n
Here’s how I was able to complete my goals:\n
0. Export your blog content to an XML file (found under Tools>>Export). You should probably backup your database just to be safe.\n
1. Create a new, clean install of WordPress at the new domain name.\n
2. Go to Settings>>Privacy in the new install and set it so that Search Engines can’t find the new blog.\n
3. Install all plugins to new blog.\n
4. Copy all the settings from the old blog to the new blog. You do this by hand, but it generally takes less than 5-10 minutes. Make sure Permalinks get setup with the same structure.\n
5. Goto Appearance>>Themes and select your design, customize however you set your old theme.\n
6. Goto Tools>>Import and import the file you exported in step one. When asked whether to include files, do so.\n
7. Goto your old blog, and download and activate the plugin, Redirection.\n
8. In your old blog, goto Tools>>Redirection and start setting up 301 redirects for your blog. This is made infinitely easier with the use of regular expressions, which is describe on the page linked in step 7.\n
Simply, what you want to do here is setup the source url with a simple regular expression that will find all your posts. For me, this was /blog/(.*) then you want to check the RegEx box, and set the Target URL to a Regular expression that will pass through the original permalink URL. For me, this was http://cuethefuture.com/blog/$1 don’t forget to make sure the action is set to “redirect to URL.” Once you’ve set that, all your posts should be forwarded properly. Then just redirect the base url (i.e. redirect tylerwillis.net to cuethefuture.com) and any pages. If you have a predicatable URL structure here, you can use the regular expressions trick again.\n
9. In your old blog, goto Settings>>Privacy and make this site invisible to Search Engines.\n
10. In your new blog, oto Settings>>Privacy and make this site visible to Search Engines.\n
What is human dignity? Here's a primer, told through 200 years of great essays, lectures, and novels.
- Human dignity means that each of our lives have an unimpeachable value simply because we are human, and therefore we are deserving of a baseline level of respect.
- That baseline requires more than the absence of violence, discrimination, and authoritarianism. It means giving individuals the freedom to pursue their own happiness and purpose.
- We look at incredible writings from the last 200 years that illustrate the push for human dignity in regards to slavery, equality, communism, free speech and education.
The inherent worth of all human beings<p>Human dignity is the inherent worth of each individual human being. Recognizing human dignity means respecting human beings' special value—value that sets us apart from other animals; value that is intrinsic and cannot be lost.</p> <p>Liberalism—the broad political philosophy that organizes society around liberty, justice, and equality—is rooted in the idea of human dignity. Liberalism assumes each of our lives, plans, and preferences have some unimpeachable value, not because of any objective evaluation or contribution to a greater good, but simply because they belong to a human being. We are human, and therefore deserving of a baseline level of respect. </p> <p>Because so many of us take human dignity for granted—just a fact of our humanness—it's usually only when someone's dignity is ignored or violated that we feel compelled to talk about it. </p> <p>But human dignity means more than the absence of violence, discrimination, and authoritarianism. It means giving individuals the freedom to pursue their own happiness and purpose—a freedom that can be hampered by restrictive social institutions or the tyranny of the majority. The liberal ideal of the good society is not just peaceful but also pluralistic: It is a society in which we respect others' right to think and live differently than we do.</p>
From the 19th century to today<p>With <a href="https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?year_start=1800&year_end=2019&content=human+dignity&corpus=26&smoothing=3&direct_url=t1%3B%2Chuman%20dignity%3B%2Cc0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Google Books Ngram Viewer</a>, we can chart mentions of human dignity from 1800-2019.</p><img type="lazy-image" data-runner-src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDg0ODU0My9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1MTUwMzE4MX0.bu0D_0uQuyNLyJjfRESNhu7twkJ5nxu8pQtfa1w3hZs/img.png?width=980" id="7ef38" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="9974c7bef3812fcb36858f325889e3c6" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
American novelist, writer, playwright, poet, essayist and civil rights activist James Baldwin at his home in Saint-Paul-de-Vence, southern France, on November 6, 1979.
Credit: Ralph Gatti/AFP via Getty Images
The future of dignity<p>Around the world, people are still working toward the full and equal recognition of human dignity. Every year, new speeches and writings help us understand what dignity is—not only what it looks like when dignity is violated but also what it looks like when dignity is honored. In his posthumous essay, Congressman Lewis wrote, "When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century, let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression and war."</p> <p>The more we talk about human dignity, the better we understand it. And the sooner we can make progress toward a shared vision of peace, freedom, and mutual respect for all. </p>
Scientists find that bursts of gamma rays may exceed the speed of light and cause time-reversibility.
- Astrophysicists propose that gamma-ray bursts may exceed the speed of light.
- The superluminal jets may also be responsible for time-reversibility.
- The finding doesn't go against Einstein's theory because this effect happens in the jet medium not a vacuum.
Jet bursting out of a blazar. Black-hole-powered galaxies called blazars are the most common sources detected by NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope.
Cosmic death beams: Understanding gamma ray bursts<div class="rm-shortcode" data-media_id="cu2knVEk" data-player_id="FvQKszTI" data-rm-shortcode-id="c6cfd20fdf31c82cb206ade8ce21ba3f"> <div id="botr_cu2knVEk_FvQKszTI_div" class="jwplayer-media" data-jwplayer-video-src="https://content.jwplatform.com/players/cu2knVEk-FvQKszTI.js"> <img src="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/thumbs/cu2knVEk-1920.jpg" class="jwplayer-media-preview" /> </div> <script src="https://content.jwplatform.com/players/cu2knVEk-FvQKszTI.js"></script> </div>
Philosophers have been asking the question for hundreds of years. Now neuroscientists are joining the quest to find out.
- The debate over whether or not humans have free will is centuries old and ongoing. While studies have confirmed that our brains perform many tasks without conscious effort, there remains the question of how much we control and when it matters.
- According to Dr. Uri Maoz, it comes down to what your definition of free will is and to learning more about how we make decisions versus when it is ok for our brain to subconsciously control our actions and movements.
- "If we understand the interplay between conscious and unconscious," says Maoz, "it might help us realize what we can control and what we can't."
We’ve mapped a million previously undiscovered galaxies beyond the Milky Way. Take the virtual tour here.
See the most detailed survey of the southern sky ever carried out using radio waves.
Astronomers have mapped about a million previously undiscovered galaxies beyond the Milky Way, in the most detailed survey of the southern sky ever carried out using radio waves.
A new study shows our planet is much closer to the supermassive black hole at the galaxy's center than previously estimated.