Comet ISON Won't Hit Earth, But a Meteor Shower Might Be in Store
The astronomy video blogger Tony Darnell explains why conspiracy theories about COMET ISON are nonsense, but that a meteor shower might be expected in 2014.
Conspiracy theories abound: NASA is manipulating data. Some believe that Comet ISON, which will be traveling through our solar system at the end of the year, will hit the Earth, and not simply give us the breathtakingly close shave that has been predicted (63 million kilometers).
In the video below, the astronomy video blogger Tony Darnell explains why these conspiracy theories are nonsense, but that a meteor shower might be expected in 2014.
Follow Tony Darnell @DeepAstronomy on Twitter
For more information, check out this infographic on the 16 spacecraft monitoring Comet ISON.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.