Scientists as Consultants in Hollywood: Book Discussion and Screening of Carl Sagan's Contact
Readers in the Washington, DC area may be interested in this free event coming up at American University on Thurs. Oct. 27 and sponsored by the School of Communication. A video of the discussion will also be available in the weeks following the event.
SCIENCE AND SOCIETY FILM AND LECTURE SERIES
Scientists as Consultants in Hollywood:
Book Discussion with David Kirby and Screening of Carl Sagan's Contact
Join SOC Professor Matthew Nisbet and University of Manchester (UK) scholar David Kirby as they discuss the role of scientists as Hollywood consultants on blockbuster movies ranging from Jurassic Park to a Beautiful Mind. Kirby, author of the new book Lab Coats in Hollywood: Science, Scientists and Cinema, will show clips and explain how consulting scientists on films not only shape cultural understanding but also the direction of scientific research.
Following the hour-long discussion with Kirby there will be a screening of Carl Sagan’s Contact starring Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey. Kirby will also be signing copies of his book.
- Human beings are psychologically hardwired to fear differences
- Several recent studies show evidence that digital spaces exacerbate the psychology which contributes to tribalism
- Shared experiences of awe, such as space travel, or even simple shared meals, have surprising effectives for uniting opposing groups
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is updated for the 21st century in a new study.
- Maslow's famous "Hierarchy of Needs" describes different levels of human motivation.
- A new study updates the hierarchy through modern methods.
- The research shows that self-actualized people share 10 specific traits.
For the first time since the Vikings sailed, the Icelandic public will soon be able to worship classical Norse gods like Odin, Thor, and Frigg at a public temple built in their honor.
For the first time since the Vikings sailed, the Icelandic public are worshiping classical Norse gods like Odin, Thor, and Frigg at a public temple built in their honor. "The worship of Odin, Thor, Freya and the other gods of the old Norse pantheon became an officially recognized religion exactly 973 years after Iceland’s official conversion to Christianity."
There are two main types of sexual fantasies. One, however, is more destructive than the other.
- There are two main types of sexual fantasies.
- One of them is more harmful to the a relationship or marriage than the other (by a lot).
- Sexually fantasizing about somebody else, though, neither hurts a relationship nor helps it; instead, it has the same mental impact as random daydreaming.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.