Au Revoir, Le Monde
It seems the nation that prides itself on doing things just a little differently has succumbed to the newspaper industry’s woes just like everyone else. The French paper of record has accepted a bid from three business tycoons in order to stay afloat. One of the paper’s new patrons made his billions in pornography, though the trio insists that journalists will maintain editorial control, says Paid Content: UK.
Le Monde has been an evening daily newspaper since 1944, when General de Gaulle ordered its establishment after the liberation of France. But now the country which most resembles European socialism, whatever that means, has shrugged off a courting gesture from the State. French President Sarkozy pulled a Berlusconi when expressing his displeasure with the trio’s private bid, instead offering Le Monde public funds to pay off its debts.
Italian President Silvio Berlusconi controls four of Italy’s five public TV channels: two privately as a media tycoon and two more under the direction of the State. Le Monde declined Sarkozy’s offer, preferring a group of men who lead liberal lives and who have ties to the opposition socialist party—besides the pornography producer, the trio who will now control the finances of Le Monde includes an former associate of the late fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent.
Le Monde has been plagued with crises both capitalist and socialist in nature, demonstrating how technological revolution respects no political ideology. The paper once attempted to raise its cover price, only to be stymied by the State, and now that circulation has dropped to the point of losing money, it was once again the State who (attempted) to step in.
Sarkozy’s bid, made officially through the state media company France Telecom-Orange, has now been withdrawn. A third official bid was made for the paper by the Spanish media group Prisa, which also owns Spain’s most popular daily, El Pais. Now Prisa is said to have withdrawn its bid as well.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and things that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way.".
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.