The English writer Mary Wollstonecraft (1759 - 1797) is best known for her early feminist treatise A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, published in 1792. Two years earlier, Wollstonecraft published A Vindication of the Rights of Man (are you sensing a theme here?), which argued for republicanism and against the aristocracy. It's from this work that the above quote is pulled.
One important note: Mary Wollstonecraft is not to be confused with her daughter, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, the author of Frankenstein.
"No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."
-Mary Wollstonecraft, from A Vindication of the Rights of Men (1790)
Background texture credit: stephanie_in_love / flickr
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
- Spinning discs are everywhere – just look at our solar system, the rings of Saturn, and all the spiral galaxies in the universe.
- Spinning discs are the result of two things: The force of gravity and a phenomenon in physics called the conservation of angular momentum.
- Gravity brings matter together; the closer the matter gets, the more it accelerates – much like an ice skater who spins faster and faster the closer their arms get to their body. Then, this spinning cloud collapses due to up and down and diagonal collisions that cancel each other out until the only motion they have in common is the spin – and voila: A flat disc.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.