Well, below, I promised a reader that I would write an absurdly long post on what has been keeping Yemen together. In the comment section though, Greg decided to undermine my weekend-long effort. Here is his response, which is important and succinct.
For my money, Yemen has been held together by money that greases the various deals that the government makes. Now that the government is unable to follow through on many of these deals because its money is running out the system is breaking down.
I think one can delve a little deeper in the history and culture of Yemen, but that's an accurate soundbite for you. That's why Greg is a Media Sensation.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
We take fewer mental pictures per second.
- Recent memories run in our brains like sped-up old movies.
- In childhood, we capture images in our memory much more quickly.
- The complexities of grownup neural pathways are no match for the direct routes of young brains.
It's not just a case of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
- A new study suggests children who endure trauma grow up to be adults with more empathy than others.
- The effect is not universal, however. Only one kind of empathy was greatly effected.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.