You Are What You Eat - and Drink

H. Robert Silverstein: The human salivary glands contain an enzyme called p-t-y-l . . .  p-t-y-a-l-i-n – ptyalin.  That is an enzyme that is for the digestion of carbohydrate.  Carbohydrate is not protein.  We don’t have fangs.  We have four of 32 poorly developed canine teeth for tearing meat.  And I can keep going on for the list of things of why the human body is designed to be mostly vegetarian. Vegan is 100 percent.  If you do the math on four out of 32, that’s 87.5 percent.  So instead of 100 percent, being vegan is 100 percent.  So I think our diet is supposed to be organic, unprocessed, whole foods at the 87.5 percent level with the other 12.5 percent being meat or . . .  And that should be free-range meat, pasture fed meat, or wild fish, or cage free eggs as examples of the type of animal protein that we can have.  So that translates, if you do the math, to a palm sized serving of animal protein two to three times a week.  Actually it’s 2.5 times a week.  So we could have a palm sized . . . your palm for you, my palm for me, Wilt Chamberlin’s palm for him, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar palm for him.  We can have palm sized servings two to three times a week, and we will then be fitting with our natural biologic design.  And once again that’s what real preventive medicine is.  It is being in tune with what is our natural biologic design.  And our biologic design calls for us to be lean, trim, low percent body fat, active, positive, non-smoking; highly organic, unprocessed, whole foods diet and so on.  So you . . .  I think that we are designed to be mostly vegetarian.  And do it or don’t do it by invitation.  This is not a command.  This is what your biology is.  Fish are supposed to breathe water.  Birds are supposed to fly.  I don’t advise the human race to go to a cliff and jump off because they want to be like a bird.  Or stay under water for two hours because they want to be like a fish, unless obviously they bring their above water air with them.  And so what I’m saying to you is that there is a natural human design, and I’ve already given that several times – breathe right, drink right, eat right, exercise right, think right, and then diseases don’t happen.

Silverstein describes the benefits of a healthy diet and discredits stories about red wine and possible health benefits.

LinkedIn meets Tinder in this mindful networking app

Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.

Getty Images
Sponsored
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.

No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.

Keep reading Show less

Douglas Rushkoff – It’s not the technology’s fault

It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.

Think Again Podcasts
  • It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
  • Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Keep reading Show less

Can the keto diet help treat depression? Here’s what the science says so far

A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.

Photo: Public Domain
Mind & Brain
  • The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
  • Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
  • Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Keep reading Show less

Why 'upgrading' humanity is a transhumanist myth

Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.

Videos
  • Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
  • Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
  • Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
Keep reading Show less