Women & Girls in Gaming
Jane McGonigal: There’s definitely a misperception that women and girls don’t play games. That’s not true at all. In fact, 40 percent of gamers are women, and 94 percent of girls under the age of 18 play games regularly, play computer and video games regularly. So there is really an extraordinary number of girls and women playing.
We do tend to play different kinds of games. We’re much more interested in cooperative than competitive games. We’re much more interested in social gaming rather than solo gaming. And we’re not as interested in first-person shooters, which do tend to get a lot more of the media coverage.
But girls and women are playing games in huge numbers, especially when you look at that under 18 demographic. It’s virtually everyone, which I think is great news because games do give you these real-life skills and abilities, ways of thinking about what you’re capable of, ways of solving problems, and we want just as many girls and women developing those skills as boys and men.
Directed / Produced by Jonathan Fowler & Elizabeth Rodd
There’s definitely a misperception that women and girls don’t play games. In fact, 40 percent of gamers are women, and 94 percent of girls under the age of 18 play games regularly, play computer and video games regularly.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.