Who would you like to interview?
Question: Who would you interview, and what would you ask?
Lidia Bastianich: I think I would like to talk to Gandhi. And that inner peace – how can we sort of make an epidemic of it? If at all, how can that spread throughout the world? Because I think when people are peaceful with themselves and understand, then they’re much more accepting of everything else.
Question: What should we be asking ourselves?
Lidia Bastianich: I think the question that we should ask ourself, again, is, “Am I happy with myself?” Just take . . . Go outside yourself for a moment and say, “Is this the person that I wanna be?” If yes, then continue. What is no, then try to correct.
Recorded on: 10/4/07
Bastianich wants to know how Gandhi got that inner peace.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.