Which alternative energy source is the best?
Question: Which alternative-energy source is the best?
Michael Klare: We, have to face a short term problems of liquids, because especially in this country we are so dependent on motorize vehicles that is the short-term crisis. We are running out of oil for cars and trucks and buses and planes and everything else. We need a liquid alternative. So people tell me, well lets have more wind power and more solar power, which is very appealing. Some people say nuclear power too, but none of those are going to solve our short-term crisis of liquids, and so for liquids I think the most promising is second generation Ethanol. Not Ethanol derived from food crops like corn, but Ethanol derived from the corn stocks and woodchips and other biomass using enzymes what’s calls cellulosic ethanol. This was very promising to me, but we do not have a single functioning cellulosic ethanol plant in commercial scale, cellulosic ethanol plant in this country at this time.
Question: What would it take to get us there?
Michael Klare: A lot of money, a lot of investment too. I mean the technology is ready, no, I shouldn’t even say that, its on a laboratory scale we have this technology, but we have to move it to commercial scale production and a lot of investment money has to be put into this. This I think is the priority, so that’s the short term crisis of liquid the transportation fuels I think is bio - developing nonfood crop bio fuels. Looking into the future the most promising strikes me is solar power, because I think that’s where the most progress is being made to harness the power of the sun, but there is a mismatch between where the sun is strongest in the American Southwest and where they need is greatest which is in Northern California, in the Midwest and in the Northeast and we don’t have the transmission lines and the infrastructure and so on, so there too, you need a lot of investment and so forth.
Klare is intrigued by solar energy but says that we are still far from making it an economically feasible alternative.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.