Where are we?
Question: Will Europe continue to resist Google News?
Philippe Cayla: The question of money. In fact, it’s a question of money because the national press agencies, which are producing content … contributed by Google. So if Google … material … of course there’s a real problem. I think it’s going to be sold because Google now is prepared to pay. So it’s only a question of money.
Question: Can China continue controlling information flow?
Philippe Cayla: China is a dictator, as you know. So they behave as a dictator. I think … I think we don’t have to compromise with China. If they make some restrictions, it’s good that we offer the Chinese people the possibility to bypass this restriction as much as we can. It’s a question of democracy. But I think that China’s government is in its right in some sense. The government has a right to do it, but it’s not democratic. And it should be challenged by the west.
Recorded on: 7/2/07
Philippe Cayla of EuroNews wonders whether Europe can continue to resist the Google News model of aggregation and whether China can continue controlling the flow of information.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.