What would John Adams think of the Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton succession?
David McCullough: Well I think John Adams with his sense of history would have laughed any use of the word dynasty for one generation succeeding another generation in the office of the presidency. That two generations does not a dynasty make, if any one family had occupied executive power held executive power under our system for 3, 4, 5 or 6 or 10 generations then that might be constituted as the dynasty. Now I think that like a lot of thing was a people say today it really doesn’t have much historic validity, when people say for example of it about days gone by and lets say the days gone by of 18th century of America. Oh, that was a simpler time, that they didn’t have to contend with the complexities and difficulties be set our time that was the simple time, anybody never says that has no sense of history doesn’t know it he/she is talking about. There was no simpler time ever different time, but not simpler and I think anyone who watches this series, when the realities of smallpox. The realities of medicine would have the benefit of anesthetics, the reality of epidemic disease, the reality of very difficult often horrendously dangerous transportation that come through in the film they will never think that those people in our family they live in the simpler time ever began.
Recorded on: 3/3/08
Two generations does not a dynasty make.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.