What sparks your creativity?
Question: Where do you look for inspiration?
Josh Lieb: I have favorite … I … I certainly was a fan of Mad magazine growing up, especially the Mad comics – the Harvey Kurtzman ones before it became a magazine. Like you know I had the little re-print digest of those when I was a kid. And I didn’t know what they were, the history or whatever; but they were so funny and weird. And I … I would say of anything, like those were my biggest, say, comedic influences. I’d … I’d reread those stories over and over again and … and sort of scour the background jokes – all the crazy background jokes. I … You know, I think Animal House is a nearly perfect movie. It has an incredibly … it … It’s like 98 percent of its jokes are successful, you know what I mean? It’s a perfectly pleasant movie to watch, and with a lot of funny jokes. My family is really not that funny. My family doesn’t really write. As a matter of fact, my mother always … Her advice to me as a child was, “Never put anything in writing,” which was strange; but … Now there’s no one … There was no, you know, kooky uncle who inspired me.
Recorded on: 9/4/07
A freckled, gap-toothed muse.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.