What Keeps Melissa Franklin Up at Night
Question: What keeps you up at night?
Melissa Franklin: It’s embarrassing. Whether or not my son does well on the baseball team. Whether or not he is able to hit. Worries me at night about the world? I don’t know. I don’t sleep much, so I spend a long of time online reading news in the middle of the night. Lately actually not so much seems very worrying to me, strangely. It seemed like a few years ago it was much worse. Maybe that was – you now, now, to be honest, if you look at CNN.com, Nothing every happens as far as I can tell. But there are more insidious things happen which are scary, I guess. I don’t stay up at night worrying about global warming even though I think it’s a huge problem. This is embarrassing, I stay up at night worrying about local stuff. Yeah, I’m sorry. I should have something really deep to say about that.
Recorded on: October 21, 2009
Melissa Franklin stays up at night concerned mainly about how her son is doing in Little League; though she worries about bigger problems, they aren’t tangible enough to make her lose sleep.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the Universe.
- The researchers think our Universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the Universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.