What Keeps Jessica Valenti Up at Night?
Jessica Valenti is a feminist writer and blogger. She is the founder and editor of the popular blog and online community, Feministing.com, and the author of three books: Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman’s Guide to Why Feminism Matters, He’s a Stud, She’s a Slut…and 49 Other Double Standards Every Woman Should Know, and The Purity Myth: How America’s Obsession with Virginity is Hurting Young Women. She is also a co-editor of the anthology Yes Means Yes: Visions of Female Sexual Power and a World Without Rape, which was named one of Publishers Weekly’s Top 100 Books of 2009.
Question: What keeps you up at night?
Jessica Valenti: What keeps me up at night? Stress from blogging keeps me up at night. What keeps me up at night is how to make Feministing specifically, but also just kind of the online world, better for feminists and more effective. I think -- you know, after doing this for a bunch of years, and I've been at it for five, it becomes more difficult every day, because the more readers you have, the more criticism you get. And especially when you're doing feminist work and you're doing political work, the more hatred you get also. And just trying to balance the negativity with the reality that you are making positive change in people's lives, and trying to remember that.
December 11, 2009
A growing audience for a political blog means more critics and more opposition.
The navigation tool has placed a school in the sea, among other things.
- Google has apologized for the sudden instability of its maps in Japan.
- Speculation on the latter option caused Zenrin shares to drop 16% last Friday.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
A new computer model solves a pair of Jovian riddles.
- Also unexplained has been the pair of asteroid clusters in front of and behind Jupiter in its orbit.
- Putting the two questions together revealed the answer to both.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.