What is your counsel?
Question: What is your counsel?
Anthony Fauci: Well I think collectively, we should be paying more attention to what is going on around us in the world among people who don’t have the advantages that we have. I think that it is our responsibility as a society to pay attention to, to be aware of, and to the best of our capability, help those people who are in dire straits, or relatively dire straits – be it in health, in poverty, or what have you – so that we can at least say that we didn’t look the other way when there were people who are global citizens and our neighbors, as it were – because we’re all joined together – and that we let that happen without trying to do something about it.
So it’s attention to the problems of the world, particularly those people who are suffering and disenfranchised.
Well simple steps is to elect good leadership that appreciates that goal. And that’s why it’s very important when you have things like presidential debates to hear specifically – not necessarily in a one-minute sound bite – but specifically what candidates feel about our responsibility in issues like global health and the health of our country [USA].
So I think ordinary citizens can do something really very important, very simply. And that is understand what people are saying, what their philosophy is, and go vote for the person that fulfills what you feel is the best way to go for our country.
Recorded On: July 6, 2007
Pay attention and choose your leaders wisely.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.