What is to be done in Darfur?
Question: Do you have a strategy for Darfur?
Armitage: Yeah. I’m afraid nothing very meaningful will happen in Darfur unless the United States has a small presence. And I’m not talking about necessarily carrying rifles and separating the combatants; but sort of a headquarters outfit. The United States has a way of coalescing efforts, and people take it seriously when the United States gets involved. And I’m one of those who thinks we should be involved. But there are plenty of others with rifles who could separate the combatants; but I think without our sort of action forcing an event, nothing meaningful will happen
Darfur needs a bigger U.S. presence, Armitage says.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A disturbing interview given by a KGB defector in 1984 describes America of today and outlines four stages of mass brainwashing used by the KGB.
- Bezmenov described this process as "a great brainwashing" which has four basic stages.
- The first stage is called "demoralization" which takes from 15 to 20 years to achieve.
- According to the former KGB agent, that is the minimum number of years it takes to re-educate one generation of students that is normally exposed to the ideology of its country.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.