What is the legacy of the war in Iraq?
Question: : What is the legacy of the Iraq war?
Tommy Thompson: I think if we don’t do the steps that I’m asking people to do and really try and win that peace, it’s gonna be another Vietnam. America went in there, got beat, and split the American population – those that more for it and those that are against it. And we will not stabilize the Middle East. The Middle East is a tender box right now. You know, you’ve got Jordan. You’ve got Syria. You’ve got Lebanon. You’ve got Israel. You’ve got . . . You’ve got Hamaas and Hezbollah. And you’ve got Gaza on the West Bank. And then you’ve got the 800 pound gorilla. It’s Iran. What’s Iran gonna do? They’re building a nuclear power. And so you need it stabilized as much as possible. And I think the Democrats are making a big mistake by just cutting and running. You’re gonna have to have a stabilization force for a long period of time. And I don’t think they’re willing to accept that, but you’re gonna have to. And I think you’re gonna have to. . . and Republicans are gonna have to say there’s gotta be some changes, because the republic does not want continuation of the same old things and expect a different result. I think that’s the definition of insanity, is keeping doing the same thing and expect different results. And you’re not gonna have different results. And so you’ve gotta do something different. Do something like I’m advocating.
Recorded on: 7/6/07
Winning the peace to prevent another Vietnam.
Beyond Beef sizzles and marbleizes just like real beef, Beyond Meat says.
- Shares of Beyond Meat opened at around $200 on Tuesday morning, falling to nearly $170 by the afternoon.
- Wall Street analysts remain wary of the stock, which has been on a massive hot streak since its IPO in May.
- Beyond Meat faces competition from Impossible Foods and, as of this week, Tyson.
Average waiting time for hitchhikers in Ireland: Less than 30 minutes. In southern Spain: More than 90 minutes.
- A popular means of transportation from the 1920s to the 1980s, hitchhiking has since fallen in disrepute.
- However, as this map shows, thumbing a ride still occupies a thriving niche – if at great geographic variance.
- In some countries and areas, you'll be off the street in no time. In other places, it's much harder to thumb your way from A to B.
A recent study used data from the Big Five personality to estimate psychopathy prevalence in the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C.
- The study estimated psychopathy prevalence by looking at the prevalence of certain traits in the Big Five model of personality.
- The District of Columbia had the highest prevalence of psychopathy, compared to other areas.
- The authors cautioned that their measurements were indirect, and that psychopathy in general is difficult to define precisely.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.