What is the environmental movement's biggest mistake?
Question: What is the environmental movement's biggest mistake?
Jim Moriarty: I think the environmental movement’s largest mistake is in selling itself to an exclusive clientele. In my opinion, in the past if you were an environmentalist that meant you were of this political party; it meant you had this- these set of tastes; it meant you had these letters after your name from an education standpoint, etc. Nothing in the world succeeds well when it’s pitched and pigeonholed to a small group. The environmental movement has to be every single person plugged in. It absolutely has to be. It has to be every grandparent. It has to be every 2-year-old. It has to be every lawyer; every college student; every grade school student; every soccer mom; every soccer dad. Everybody needs to find their place to change their lifestyle to be a little bit more sustainable. It has to be all political parties. It doesn’t matter what your interests are. You-- Everyone needs to be aligned to this.
Recorded on: 9/27/07
The environmental movement sells itself short by catering to an exclusive audience, Moriarty says.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.