What is the difference between leading a small business and a corporation?
Question: What is the difference between leading a small business and a major corporation?
Thomas Cooley: You know, there-- it's a much bigger job leading a large corporation and there's some aspects of luck that determine who rises to the top in large corporations, but you know, they're all important skills. And when you meet powerful business leaders, the one thing you do understand very clearly is that there is something about them that led them to rise to the top, that there are these definable characteristics of strong leaders.
Question: What are those characteristics?
Thomas Cooley: Well, they're, you know, a sense of assurance about what you're doing, a sense of vision about what your role in society is, and you know, the ability to articulate that vision, certainly self-confidence and a strong sense of values.
All great leaders have a common quality, says Dean Thomas Cooley.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
Bushier eyebrows are associated with higher levels of narcissism, according to new research.
- Science has provided an excellent clue for identifying the narcissists among us.
- Eyebrows are crucial to recognizing identities.
- The study provides insight into how we process faces and our latent ability to detect toxic people.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.