What is America's role in the Middle East?
Arlen Specter: Well my goals will be to do what we can to stabilize Iraq without great loss of America life and limb. That we would enter into very active negotiations with the problems facing the world. Our own controversies with Iran. Trying to work through the problems with Syria which sponsors Hezbollah, as does Iran. They sponsor Hamass. Find a way to get Hamaas to renounce its determination to destroy Israel, its refusal to recognize Israel as ultimately we succeeded in getting the PLO to change its charter. Trying to have a stable Palestinian government to negotiate a two-state resolution with Israel.
Recorded on: 7/4/2007 at The Aspen Ideas Festival
Specter's main goal is stability.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- He was inspired by a statistic he learned while working at a hedge fund: In the '90s, web usage was growing at 2,300% a year.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
- A recent study used data from several national surveys to compare religiosity, risk-taking preferences and demographic information among more than 20,000 American adolescents.
- The results suggest that risk-taking preferences might partly explain the gender differences in religiosity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.