What is America doing right?
Ken Adelman: Well I think the innovation of America is phenomenal. And what we have to do is preserve the intellectual property rights, which people are stealing around the world. And that is in terms of movies. That’s in terms of music. That’s in terms of pharmaceuticals. That’s in terms of a lot of products, because 40% of the American economy is bound up in intellectual property. That’s what we do. And it’s a great line from Henry V that we talked about this morning that fits in that, even though certainly Shakespeare was not an intellectual property attorney. It’s “All things are ready if our minds be so.” What he’s saying is when all’s said and done, the creativity and motivation of the human mind is what really produces things. And you look at that back to Israel. Israel has no resources. And all these countries . . . You know, God in His infinite wisdom took all these Arab countries and gave them oil underneath the ground. In Israel they have nothing. And Israel’s economy is certainly . . . per capita ________ is higher than Portugal’s or Spain’s these days. It contributes enormously innovation, I think because of human capital. That’s what we . . . that’s what the world lives on these days.
Recorded on: 7/2/07
We need to do more to preserve intellectual property rights, Adelman says.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.