What does it mean to be Latin?
Gloria Estefan: To me it is an enriching thing. I think this country is built on immigration, on the fusion of cultures, and the beauty of this country is that you can be a part of this, too, but you don’t have to melt into it. I think we have a lot of opportunities, we have come a long way; there is still a long way to go, especially in just dispelling myths and fears because that tends to happen a lot, especially every time there is a political situation going on, they always try to blame the last ones in the country, and we keep coming in, so it is always us. But I think that through the opportunities that we have had here with Tribeca and in my career, really, because I can’t say that we were discriminated against. What made us shine was the fact that we sounded different in our, in the Latin part of us, so, for us, it spelled success and bringing something new into a market and I hope to never forget that and I hope to carry that on through my kids as well.
Recorded on: May 2 2008
It is an enriching thing, says Gloria Estefan.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.