What does it mean to be Jewish?
Dov Zakheim: Oh sure. I mean as an American, I want my country to remain what it’s been, which is the greatest country history has ever produced. That means doing what you can to help move the country along. In my sphere it’s defense, so that’s what I think I can help with. And that’s what I think is important. As a Jew, I think we have values that are universal in that we can give to the world. The most recent one being if you have a dream that’s 2,000 years old, don’t give up on it. There is a passage in the prophets about . . . It says that there will be old men and old women once again walking the streets of Jerusalem. Well go to Jerusalem. There are old men and old women walking the streets again. Well that prophet made that prophecy 2,000 years ago, and it's been a long interval since then. So I think my Jewish values – and it doesn’t just apply to Judaism or to Jews – is don’t give up on your dream. It’s very, very important.
Recorded on: 7/2/07
Zakheim feels that Jews should not give up on an ancient dream.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.