Tommy Thompson’s Plan to Make Consumers Healthy
Topic: Tommy Thompson’s Plan to Make Consumers Healthy
Tommy Thompson: First off, you have to put out a good labeling, you know, good labeling on foods so you can actually understand what you’re consuming. Number 2, you got to put out educational programs starting in, you know, in the grade school and high schools with children. You got to do something about not having every corner in a school, you know, with vending machines with nothing but high fat foods in it and so on. You need good drinks and good foods in those vending machines. Number , I encourage my corporate clients to bring in a nutritionist. If they can have a full time nutritionist on staff and I could show them if they’ll do that they can save money, but at least bring one in on a part-time basis, on a periodic basis to teach people how to eat properly. I also have suggested that cafeterias in corporations and in hospitals subsidize good food for their employees and their patients and allow a one line to have nothing but fruits and vegetables and salads, and either subsidize it or give it away free to your employees, and on the other line, put your high fat foods and charge a lot of money, and to do that you will change human nature. I made a joke that if you charge everybody $5 for a hamburger, $10 for a cheeseburger and $0.20 for French fry, and if you do that, you will change people’s attitude to go over to the good foods. These are the kind of things that we have to do as a society to make ourselves healthier
Recorded On: 10/30/08
Tommy Thompson wants a massive relabeling scheme for food.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.