Tommy Thompson on the Health Care Bailout
Question: Can we afford to rescue the health care system after bailing out Wall Street?
Tommy Thompson: You can’t, you can’t do it all. I mean, I mean, let’s face it. We’re a debtor nation and the Chinese government owns trillions of dollars of our debt and they have about probably trillion dollars of our cash, and Saudi Arabia was, you know, when the oil prices were as high as they were this past summer, you know, it was just a complete drain of dollars and resources from America. And, what we have to do is we have to get back and start, you know, looking at America. We got an infrastructure that is, that is collapsing around us, we got military equipment that is collapsing because it’s been overseas for so long and fight in two wars and we’ve got a healthcare system which every single American, I think, not every single American but a good share of America, you know depends upon. And I think it’s worth saving, and we’ve got to start addressing it in 2009 or [else] it’s going to, if every year we don’t address it, it exacerbates itself and gets worse.
Recorded On: 10/30/08
We can’t manage it right now, Tommy Thompson says.
It's the first time the association hasn't hired a comedian in 16 years.
- The 2018 WHCA ended in controversy after comedian Michelle Wolf made jokes some considered to be offensive.
- The WHCA apologized for Wolf's jokes, though some journalists and many comedians backed the comedian and decried arguments in favor of limiting the types of speech permitted at the event.
- Ron Chernow, who penned a bestselling biography of Alexander Hamilton, will speak at next year's dinner.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
A study on flies may hold the key to future addiction treatments.
- A new study suggests that drinking alcohol can affect how memories are stored away as good or bad.
- This may have drastic implications for how addiction is caused and how people recall intoxication.
- The findings may one day lead to a new form of treatment for those suffering from addiction.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.