Tommy Thompson on the Health Care Bailout
Question: Can we afford to rescue the health care system after bailing out Wall Street?
Tommy Thompson: You can’t, you can’t do it all. I mean, I mean, let’s face it. We’re a debtor nation and the Chinese government owns trillions of dollars of our debt and they have about probably trillion dollars of our cash, and Saudi Arabia was, you know, when the oil prices were as high as they were this past summer, you know, it was just a complete drain of dollars and resources from America. And, what we have to do is we have to get back and start, you know, looking at America. We got an infrastructure that is, that is collapsing around us, we got military equipment that is collapsing because it’s been overseas for so long and fight in two wars and we’ve got a healthcare system which every single American, I think, not every single American but a good share of America, you know depends upon. And I think it’s worth saving, and we’ve got to start addressing it in 2009 or [else] it’s going to, if every year we don’t address it, it exacerbates itself and gets worse.
Recorded On: 10/30/08
We can’t manage it right now, Tommy Thompson says.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.