The role of Silicon Valley
Nancy Pelosi: Silicon Valley has been a strong intellectual resource to us in putting together innovation agenda. In fact, our discussions began at Stanford University.
And when we put the innovation agenda together, it became clear that energy security was a competitiveness issue. It's not only a national security issue for our country, and an economic issue, it's a competitiveness issue.
So right from the start as we put the innovation agenda together, Silicon Valley was there.
And on energy, of course, the green momentum that is springing forth from Silicon Valley is very important because if we're going to succeed with our new green economy, and with our addressing climate crisis and energy security, we have to let the marketplace lead the way.
So when we see Silicon Valley with all the invention and ingenuity and discovery, plus all of the venture capital flowing toward that, we know that we can be successful.
Recorded on: June 24, 2008
Innovation from Silicon Valley is critical to solving the nation's biggest problems.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.